Frequently Asked Questions

How can the court assist me in resolving my parking ticket?

Mineola Justice Court can assist you in two ways; we can accept a payment or arrange for you to appear in court.   Any other issues related to parking fields, violations, code enforcement, or meters need to be addressed directly with the Parking Supervisor. 

I have never been to court, what is the court process?

When we receive your “Not Guilty” plea you will be given a court date and placed on the court calendar.  When you arrive in court, check in with the Court Clerk and be seated.   The Judge will call you in the order you checked in and you will be given an opportunity to present your plea to the Judge. 

Do I have to make a court appearance if I want to pay my ticket?

No.  You do not have to make an appearance if you want to pay the ticket.

How can I pay my ticket?

We accept credit cards, debit cards, certified checks, money orders and cash.  Do not send cash through the mail.  WE DO NOT ACCEPT PERSONAL CHECKS OR BUSINESS CHECKS.  Tickets can be paid online,  by phone 516-701-3764, by mail, or in person.  We accept payments at our window Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:00pm.  Only parking tickets can be paid online or over the phone.  Traffic violations and building code violations cannot be paid online or over the phone.

Is there a fee for using a credit or debit card?

Yes, there is a small bank convenience fee, based on the amount you are paying.

I have a handicap permit.   Why did I get a ticket for an expired meter?

Handicap permits do not exempt permit holders from having to pay the meter and adhere to any time limitations.   For example, if you are parked in a spot that has a 90-minute or a two-hour limit, you must remove your vehicle when the time period is up.

When will my ticket fine increase?

Every 30 days the fine will increase.   Avoid an increase in fines by paying within that time period.   The 30-day time frame includes Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays and will rarely fall on the same date it was issued on in the previous month.   

How do I dispute the ticket?

In order to dispute a summons, you must appear in court before the judge.  All court dates are made by appointment only.   We do not accept walk-in’s to court; you must be on the court calendar.

Respond within five (5) days from date of issuance so that we can guarantee a court date prior to your ticket amount increasing.  Court nights book up very quickly.  If you do not respond within five days, the next available court date may be after your ticket amount has increased.

To plea by mail, fill out the back of the ticket immediately and send in the orange envelope provided or call the Village Justice Court to plea by phone. 

What if I miss my court date?

If you miss your court date, contact us and we will add you to the next available court calendar.  A non-appearance or an adjournment will not hold the original amount of the ticket.   Keep in mind, your fine may double by the next court date you can attend.

If the judge reduces my fine will I be given any time to pay?

The Judge will grant a reasonable time to pay your fine once you have accepted a plea bargain in court.

Can I make a partial payment?

All tickets must be paid in full.  We cannot accept partial payments. 

Can someone come to court for me?

If you have a parking ticket you may have a relative, friend, or attorney appear for you.  If you have a traffic violation or a building code violation you must appear or have an attorney appear on your behalf.

I think the meter was broken.

Contact the Parking Supervisor at Village Hall immediately to report a meter that may be disabled.

I have a commuter permit or special permit and I still received a ticket.

There are designated parking spots for commuter and special permit holders and a specific area on your vehicle where the permit must be displayed.  A list of parking fields and spaces available to permit holders along with instructions on where to place the permit were provided at the time you received your permit.   If you did not follow instructions, or parked in a space not designated for your permit type, and you received a ticket you must appear before the judge, or pay the summons. 

I paid on the Whoosh App and received a ticket.

The space must be paid immediately after parking your vehicle.  Check the time you paid and the time you received the ticket.  Sometimes you may be paying while Parking Enforcement is writing the ticket.  If that is the case, print out a copy of the receipt from the Whoosh App which shows your plate, the time you paid, and the space number your vehicle was parked in and mail or bring it to Justice Court.  We will review the time you paid and let you know if we can hold it for judicial review or if it will warrant a court appearance.

Where are you located?

We are located at Mineola Village Hall, First Floor, 155 Washington Avenue, Mineola, NY.  (One block south of Jericho Turnpike between Mineola Boulevard and Willis Avenue, across from the firehouse).  There is parking adjacent to our building.  Keep in mind we are open to accept payments between 8:30am and 4:00pm.