Village Offices close at 12 noon on Friday December 22 and Friday December 29.
There will be no walk-in requests for birth certificates on those days.
Birth certificates of any person who was born at Winthrop-University Hospital (formerly Nassau Hospital) are on file at the Registrar's office in the Village Clerk Department. To request a copy of a birth certificate, the applicant must fulfill the requirements below and provide a money order or cash in the amount of $10 (checks are not accepted); a driver license or passport photo ID (clear copies or faxes are acceptable if requesting through the mail) and a self-addressed stamp envelope. Overnight services are available if pre-paid by the applicant.
*If your name has changed, documentation showing name change (i.e. marriage license) must be provided.
A certified copy or a certified transcript of a birth certificate may be issued only:
- To a person with a New York State Court Order;
- To the person named on the birth certificate, if 18 years of age or older;
- To the parents of the person named on the birth certificate;
- To the lawful representative of the person named or the parents of the person named on the birth certificate;
- To the Commissioner of the Health; or
- To a municipal, state or federal agency when needed for official purposes.
A certification of birth certificate may be issued:
- To the person named on the birth certificate, if under 18 years of age;
- To a person over 18 years of age, if a certification is what they prefer; or
- To a person who can demonstrate the record is required for a judicial or other proper purpose.
Death certificates are on file in the Registrar's office if the decedent expired at Winthrop-University Hospital (formerly Nassau Hospital); in a residence within the Village; or at any other location wherein the deceased was transported to Winthrop-University Hospital upon death.
The applicant must provide the decedent's name and date of death and complete and sign form DOH-294A. If the request is made by someone other than the spouse, parent or child of the decedent, the application or letter must be accompanied by supporting documents establishing a legal right or claim to obtain a certified copy or transcript, or judicial or other proper purpose to obtain a certification.
*A spouse of a decedent must provide a copy of their marriage license/certificate.
*A child of a decendent must provide a copy of their birth certificate.
For further information about obtaining a birth or death certificate, please contact the Office of the Registrar in the Village Clerk's Department by calling 746-0750.